Urjit Patel is an Indian economist. He was born on 28 October 1963. He is currently serving as 24th Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) since September 2016. Previously, as an RBI deputy governor, he looked after monetary policy, economic policy research, statistics and information management, deposit insurance, communication and Right to Information.
He was appointed by the Narendra Modi government, on 4 September 2016. let’s know more about him –
Urjit Patel Biography
|Real Name||Urjit R Patel|
|Date of Birth||28-Oct-63|
|Birth Place||Not Known|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Scorpio|
|College||London School of Economics, London, United Kingdom University of Oxford, England, United Kingdom Yale University, Connecticut, USA|
|Educational Qualification||BA from London School of Economics, London, United Kingdom M. Phill. From University of Oxford, England, United Kingdom Doctorate in Economics from Yale University, Connecticut, USA|
|Net Worth||Not Known|
- His grandfather migrated to Kenya from Gujarat in the early 20th century.
- He was born in Nairobi, Kenya.
- He joined IMF (International Monetary Fund as a Kenyan citizen.
- He worked in the Bahamas, India, USA and Myanmar desks at IMF from 1990 to 1995.
- He learned Gujarati and Hindi only after his posting in India.
- In 1996-1997, he was deputed to the RBI from IMF and after completing two years of deputation at RBI, he became the consultant to the Ministry of Finance of the government of India and remained at the post from 1998 to 2001.
- He was appointed as Deputy Governor of the RBI in 2013.
- Before becoming the Deputy Governor of RBI, he applied for Indian passport and his recommendation letter to the Home Ministry was written by the Manmohan Singh (Former Prime Minister of India).
- He has a very small circle of Friends.
- On 4 September 2016, he became the 24th Governor of RBI.